In the last blog, we looked at things we could do to slow down or even reverse the aging process on the physical level. We will now look at the mental/emotional aspects of staying younger longer.
As I said before, in order to feel healthy and energetic longer, it is going to require being conscious of the choices we are making.
One of the biggest contributors to aging is stress. It can make us older faster and is said to be the root cause for most diseases. Reducing your stress level will certainly reverse your ageing. Stress can be countered by being calm and balanced. To accomplish this, make a concerted effort to watch when you start getting stressed. Then look at the situation and accept it as it is, rather than what you want it to be. When we do this we are said to be in a state of equanimity or a state of “even mind”. We have a mental calmness even when we are in difficult situations. This takes daily practice to achieve this state. Here are some ideas.
Stress Relievers/Age Reversers:
- Meditation or just sitting quietly to unclutter the mind is a good remedy to reduce stress.
- Slowing down and smelling the roses also plays an essential role in countering stress and even reversing your age.
- Practising mindfulness, being aware of the present moment is so freeing.
- Simply “going with the flow” offsets stress.
- Being the “observer” and not getting caught up in the fray of what is happening around you, will work miracles.
- Being mindful to respond instead of reacting to situations will cut the stress.
- Being open to new ideas, social opportunities, experiences, foods, new anything keeps you young.
- Recognizing that all of life is impermanent is a great key to freedom from stress.
- Having an attitude of gratitude, getting in touch with the feeling of gratefulness daily will change your life.
- Watching your language, both the inner (what you say to yourself) and the outer (what you say to others) can have a profound effect on the ageing process.
- Giving to others, compliments, unexpected good deeds, random acts of kindness brings much happiness and tranquillity.
- Each morning decide what kind of day you are going to have and set the intention to have an awesome day. This will add years to your life.
Another big contributor to ageing is out of control emotions. Anger and worry can age you quickly. Anger is the result of hanging on to something that happened in the past. Worry shows up when you are thinking too far ahead into the future. You may need some outside help to deal with these emotions from a more objective point of view so that they don’t slow down your ageing process. But you can reduce or eliminate angry and worrisome thoughts by increasing your awareness and being attentive when they come into your mind.
There are many areas to look at in terms of slowing down the ageing process. For more information or to ask any questions, go to http://charleneday.com/contact.
To your good health!