I spent the weekend with a group of Enneagram enthusiasts. The Enneagram is a beautiful way to get to know yourself and awaken the deeper part of your soul. It is a model of studying human personality as it relates to self-understanding and self-development through nine interconnected personality types. A part of this weekend included meditation which can be a great liberator! For more information on the Enneagram, please click here.
The main teacher was Helen Palmer and she was joined by Terry Saracino. They taught in what is called the narrative tradition. What that means is that the participants of the workshop are asked to go on interactive panels where we are interviewed. Through this inquiry our struggles, dilemmas and strengths related to our type are brought into more self-awareness.
In the last few blogs we have been exploring paradigms (the habitual behavior patterns held in our subconscious mind). When I volunteered to go on one of these panels investigating our instinctual patterns, my “paradigm detective” got a few more clues. Throughout the many panels I was reminded how well these habitual behavior patterns work to protect us and keep us safe. They do it so well we are completely unconscious of them.
- How patterns of behavior like my going to workshops endlessly, was a function of trying to protect myself.
- How emotions like anxiety and worry can keep anger hidden.
- How any emotional pain is covered up by patterns. I was reminded how these patterns are running the show until we become conscious of them.
- How we operate on automatic most of the time.
- How our specific lens (our defense or preoccupation) through which we view the world skews how and what we “see”.
- How these limiting patterns are not serving us in the present.
- How we are so conditioned to look outside instead of inside.
The weekend workshop really demonstrated another way to deal with these paradigms or conditioned patterns. By going inside and using our inner observer, witnessing our breath as we let our attention drop into our belly and notice where the breath and the attention join. Relaxing the resistance and letting the life force flow. Letting go of ordinary consciousness and relaxing into that part of brain where there are no fixed habits.
- Learning to relax into loving kindness or agape.
- Feeling a higher state of consciousness.
- A place where you have been when you fell in love.
- Passion of the heart.
- A state of wellbeing, happy and peaceful.
- A place where the world looks different, where you are authentic and receptive. Where you surrender, letting go, letting a greater knowing that is imbued in the life force that you are well inside of yourself even in the midst of great difficulty.
So this process of relaxing inside and staying present in breath right now, stops the movement of the past pattern coming into the future. It stops the misinformation that what we are facing now is some kind of re-creation of what we faced back then when the pattern formed. We now have choice and can see it as unreal, an illusion.
Having meditated for many years now, I can attest that meditation is certainly a great way to go inside. After this weekend, it is a great reminder that when we are on automatic, we can pause and breathe and stop those limiting paradigms from running the show.
Here’s to your success!
I appreciate getting feedback on my post. I enjoy hearing from you and if you would like to find out more about the next Focus Into Results program, I would love to discuss how we could transform your dreams…into reality, your goals…into achievements and your thinking…into results.